Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Aunt Millie is the Anti-Christ!!!!!!

Or so it would seem, anyways. (For those who don't know, Aunt Millie is a maker of bread and bread products.)

Needless to say, that was never a headline I ever thought I'd be typing!

But, I recently had a conversation with a lady friend of mine. She and her parents were Mennonite at one point in their lives. Even thought they have since left that group, my friend told me something rather shocking.

According to her parents, after reading the book of Revelation, they have determined that Armageddon will arrive......when bread hits $5 per loaf!!!!! It's also possible that the price of milk is also somehow involved, but she wasn't sure.

Well, needless to say, this led to quite the theological conundrum for me! I said, every brand of bread is a different cost, and each store has slightly different prices, which one should we be watching for? There was no clear answer to my question. With all of the imagery and symbolism found in Revelation, to narrow it all down to the price of a loaf of bread is quite impressive, to say the least.

OK, even though the above conversation is 100% true, obviously I am not too serious in my reaction. Scripture clearly quotes Jesus as saying in Mark 13:32 that no one knows when the final hour is to arrive, not even the angels or Christ, Himself. Only God knows. And we do not know of it is a fixed time, or moveable based on the actions of the world (it seems pretty set, to me, but we should always be ready, Jesus warns.)

Sure, there will be certain signs and wonders, but even many of those will originally be false or misleading for various reasons. Many of the events in Revelation happen all of the time (earthquakes, wars, etc.) But the final battle, itself, will be pretty unmistakable due to it's enormity. Stocking your shelves or building a bomb shelter as if it's WWIII is silly. This is a war to end not all wars, but to end everything. The world as we know it will come to an end. Your food supplies and shelters will become meaningless. Instead, store up your treasures in Heaven by your actions. Those treasures will never fade away, and will be the only ones God recognizes at the Final Judgment.

And I am pretty sure Aunt Millie will not be a factor in any of this.

Godspeed.
+JMJ+

2 comments:

  1. I am positive that the end of times does not rest on the price of bread, but I am sure it is coming. And You are right, building bomb shelters will not shield you from the wrath of God, and the only thing you can do is to store up your riches in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cracks me up... predicting the coming of the Lord via the price of bread...

    I am thankful to serve a merciful God who has a plan that doesn't involve the price of bread!

    ReplyDelete